This qualification would apply to individuals with various job titles including executive officers, program consultants and program coordinators.
Individuals in these roles may possess substantial experience in a range of settings, but seek to further develop their skills across a wide range of business functions.
Conversely, it may also apply to those with little or no vocational experience, but who possess sound theoretical business skills and knowledge that they would like to develop in order to create further educational and employment opportunities
Achievement of Diploma of Business demonstrates skills to a broad overview of business disciplines and functions such as knowledge management, human resources and risk management. It offers graduates varied entry level opportunities including public service, government business, education, health, manufacturing, mining, service industries, e-commerce and the retail sector. Positions may include but not limited to:
- Executive officer
- Business administrator
- Human resources officer
- Office manager
- Project consultant
Graduates completing the Diploma of Business may wish to extend their learning through higher education.
- Bachelor of Business
- Graduate Certificates
- Masters of Business Administration
The Target Audience
Students wishing to develop a career or to pursue higher professional in the business functions. MMC’s clients for this qualification will largely be domestic students completing this qualification to either complement their existing qualifications from multiple domains/fields or build knowledge, practical skills and experience in leadership and management across a range of enterprise and industry contexts.
Key Audience Characteristics:
- Predominantly domestic students; multi-cultural groups
- Undertaking this course as part of professional development/qualification or skill enhancement
- Largely mature-age students
- Student progressing from certificate level programs of MMC
- Candidates with business and management role or similar experience or competencies
- Career and higher education aspirations/goals
It is also suitable for those who have completed certificate IV level qualifications in leadership and management or related domains and looking to upgrade their skills to further their academic and career prospects.
Although there are no barriers to entry based on age (other than post school students over 18), gender, social or educational background. Potential students will:
- Students are required to bring their laptop or tablet to participate in this course
- Be technology savvy to undertake the practical application of the online learning and assessment
- Have foundation skills at a minimum of Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) level 3 listed
Prior to enrolment in the Diploma of Business applicants, must provide evidence showing:
- Be at least eighteen (18) year of age on enrolment date
- Proof of Australian citizenship/permanent residency and age
- Satisfactory LLN levels – at least Year 12 English and Maths
- Basic computer skills
- Record of any previous studies
- Year 12*, equivalent or higher
*Determination of equivalency can be made via the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/vcerecognition/equiquals/equiv-yr12.aspx
IT Literacy Requirements
This qualification requires an intermediate/advanced understanding and use of computers and the internet, technology skills will include using word and excel or simular software to:
- Prepare written and graphic reports
- Develop professional development plan
- Access the learning material and submit assessments on line.
To ensure students have the sufficient skills to participate in the course, Melbourne Metropolitan College will require students to undertake a basic Computer Literacy Test before enrolment will be accepted.
In the event students do not have, the technical skills to participate fully, students are offered the following options:
- The Trainer will work with the Student to show them how to access the material; or
- Melbourne Metropolitan College will recommend a suitable course to improve these skills
The duration of the program is 52 weeks broken down into 40 weeks of delivery, and 12 weeks of holidays.
40 weeks of training delivery (13 hours per week over 2 days) and structured tutorial sessions (7 hours per week) plus 10 hours per week of self-paced activities and completing the assessments.
The BSB50215 Diploma of Business involves classroom-based learning, trainer supported tutorials, self-paced activities and assessment. Students attend scheduled structured training for a minimum 20 hours per week.
Students need to undertake additional time at home where they complete research, work through student guides and read the relevant chapters of their textbook. The self-paced learning hours for this course is 10 hours per week.
Level 2, 335 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Recognition of Prior Learning is available. Melbourne Metropolitan College offers students the opportunity to apply for RPL during the enrolment or after orientation.
Melbourne Metropolitan College has a streamlined RPL process to support the student to make a self-assessment of their skills, in preparation for an interview with an assessor. RPL may reduce the course duration.
Credit Transfer (CT)
Learners may apply for credit transfer. If the Learners has successfully completed unit/s that have identified equivalence in content and learning outcomes between matched qualifications. If upon successful application Learners will be granted, Credit Transfer of the unit/s and are not required to enrol or undertake the unit. This will appear on their Statement of Results or Statement of Attainment as a CT.
CT may reduce the course duration.
|BSBWOR501||Manage personal work priorities and professional development||Elective|
|BSBHRM501||Manage human resources services||Elective|
|BSBHRM513||Manage workforce planning||Elective|
|BSBADV507||Develop a media plan||Elective|
|BSBWOR403||Manage stress in the workplace||Elective|
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work||Elective|